We can now take a visit to the west side of town, about five minutes walk from the centre, up the Allesley Old Road to one of Coventry's oldest sub-districts. Any Coventrian will instantly recognise these arches in Spon End, which have stood proudly since 1859. They replaced an earlier railway carrying structure which collapsed in 1857. By clicking the photo, the 2003 scene will fade back to 1929 (and back again with another click.)
Through the right hand arch, it can be seen that some of the old houses have survived unscathed. Much of the remaining area in the 2003 picture looks to have been devoted to car sales, as opposed to the more sedate method of transport dominating the 1929 scene.