Opened in 1893, Wheatley Street School was large and handsomely built, and although some people thought this was extravagant, the school became something of a showpiece and educated 1,228 pupils from infant through to senior age in its early days.
Shown here in 1904, the street layout will require some explanation to anyone born since the Inner Ring Road was constructed in the 1960s. The Edwardian photographer was standing in Ford Street, and the little street going off to the north opposite was the original Fairfax Street, which name was passed on to the street we're now familiar with running along the south boundary of Pool Meadow.
There's not much to say really about the 2009 view. We have the Ring Road above our head, this remaining segment of Ford Street is now just an entrance to the Pool Meadow car park, and rather than a fine school we have the rear of the Hillfields Bus Garage as our vista. At the far right we can just see the former Theatre One cinema, which proudly showed the legendary Star Wars movie in 1977.
To bring this photo to life, please read the memories of Muriel Wells, who attended this school during World War II.
Website by Rob Orland © 2002 to 2024