More in this section....
Coventry History | Timeline | On this day... | Coventry's Mayors | Honorary Freemen | Coventry's Bishops | St.Michael's Vicars | Coventry's Pubs 1912
ince the first award in 1914 to Andrew Carnegie, only a small number of people have been given Honorary Freemanship of the City of Coventry. Below is the full list, each accompanied by their entry in the Roll of Honorary Freemen.
Click the image to the right of each Freeman to view the full entry.
|Date of resolution||Date of Admission||Name & Description||View|
|25th November 1913||4th June 1914||Andrew Carnegie|
of Skibo Castle, Dornoch, Sutherlandshire, Doctor of Laws, Donor of the Earlsdon, Foleshill and Stoke Branch Libraries, Coventry.
|29th January 1924||25th September 1924||Colonel William Fitzthomas Wyley, V.D., D.L., J.P. (Alderman of the Coventry City Council)|
of the Charterhouse, Coventry. In recognition of the eminent services which he has rendered to the City of Coventry throughout his long public life.
|29th July 1927||9th November 1927||Alderman Alfred Henry Drinkwater, J.P.|
of Jedburgh House, The Butts, Coventry. In recognition of his long public services to the City of Coventry.
|28th February 1933||15th June 1933||Alfred Herbert (Knight Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire)|
of Dunley Manor, Whitchurch, Hants. In recognition of his generosity, as exemplified particularly in the presentation to the City of the Alfred Herbert Recreation Ground and of Lady Herbert's Garden, and also in recognition of his eminent services in connection with the modern industrial development of Coventry.
|27th October 1936||10th December 1936||Baron Nuffield, of Nuffield, O.B.E., D.C.L.|
In recognition of his generous help to the Coventry and Warwickshire Hospital and to other good causes, and of his distinguished place in the modern industrial life of Coventry and the Nation.
|27th October 1936||10th December 1936||Hugh Richard Farren, Esquire, O.B.E., J.P.|
In recognition of his high character and of his many years of devoted public service to the City of Coventry.
|7th May 1946||14th October 1946||Frederick Smith, Esquire, B.A., F.G.S.|
In appreciation of the eminent service which he has rendered to the City in the offices of Town Clerk and Clerk of the Peace, in recognition of his devotion to public duties during a period of unprecedented municipal development and as a token of public esteem.
|2nd October 1962||15th November 1962||Alfred Robert Grindlay, Esquire, C.B.E., J.P. (Alderman)|
A member of the City Council for nearly 39 years, in recognition of his eminent and devoted services to the City during a period of unprecedented municipal development and as a token of public esteem.
|2nd October 1962||15th November 1962||George Edward Hodgkinson, Esquire, O.B.E. (Alderman)|
A member of the City Council for nearly 35 years, in recognition of his eminent and devoted services to the City during a period of unprecedented municipal development and as a token of public esteem.
|7th January 1969||1st May 1969||Edward Langton, Baron Iliffe of Yattendon in the County of Berkshire|
In recognition and appreciation of the eminent service he has rendered and of his many benefactions to his native City.
|10th November 1981||7th April 1982||Councillor Arthur James Waugh M.A.|
In recognition of his eminent and devoted services to the City and his significant contribution to public life in Coventry over a period of thirty-five years.
|26th January 1999||26th November 1999||The Right Honourable Dr. Marjorie (Mo) Mowlam, M.P.|
In recognition of her significant contribution to the peace settlement in Ireland.
|14th July 2015||25th September 2015||Mr. Ratan Naval Tata G.B.E and Professor Lord Kumar Bhattacharyya K.T., C.B.E., F.R.Eng, F.R.S.|
In recognition of the investment of Tata Steel into Jaguar Land Rover which has enhanced and protected the status of car manufacturing in the region, supported by the Warwick Manufacturing Group.
Website by Rob Orland © 2022