Home Home

 
Index...

Search this site:
1. The Arno Motor Company of Coventry 1908-1916, by Damien Kimberley
2. The Beech on Wheels, by Derek Robinson and forum member Foxcote
3. A brief history of Saint Osburg's, in pictures, by Damien Kimberley
4. The Brough Superior, by Damien Kimberley
5. Coventry Volunteer Fire Brigade - Illustrated London News, Jan 4th 1862
6. Coventry's Great Flood - London Daily Graphic, 2nd January 1901
7. Coventry's Rich Heritage, by Pete Walters
8. Coventry, the Home of the Cycle Trade - 1886 magazine article
9. Coventry, the Silk Trade and the Horsfall family, by Ian West
10. D-Day and Monty's Staff Car, by Paul Maddocks
11. The Dragoon Cycle Company of Coventry, by Damien Kimberley
12. Edwin Brown, Victorian Animal Artist, by Stephen Catton
13. The First Tudor Feast, by Richard Ball
14. The Great Flood of December 1900, and the lost Bridges, by Damien Kimberley
15. Henry Cave, and the 'Lady' Autocar of 1899, by Damien Kimberley
16. The Ira Aldridge Trail, by Simon Shaw
17. Let's talk about Rex, by Damien Kimberley
18. The Lion Bicycle Company of Coventry & Wolverhampton 1877-1882, by Damien Kimberley
19. Miss Bashford, a Teacher's Tale, by Simon Shaw
20. Motor Panels (Coventry) Ltd, by Damien Kimberley
21. The New Bablake Schools - 1889 article
22. New Drinking Fountain at Coventry - 17 Sep 1859
23. Not Forgotten, the 1939 IRA bomb attack, by Simon Shaw
24. The Old Vicarage, Binley, by Anna Eddleston
25. Phil Silvers Archival Museum, by Paul Maddocks
26. Proposal for St. Michael's Campanile c1890
27. Public Baths - The Building News, Jan 24th 1896
28. The Saint Joseph the Worker parish in Coventry, by Terence Richards
29. A short history of Coventry's Theatres and Cinemas, by Bill Birch
30. Sixty Years of Cycling - 1897 magazine article
31. The sound that almost killed my Dad in the War!, by Paul Maddocks
32. The Tapestry and its Hidden Secret, by Paul Maddocks
33. Transport Museum pt.1 - How the Queen's 1977 visit sowed the seed, by Paul Maddocks
34. Transport Museum pt.2 - New Hales Street Entrance in 1985, by Paul Maddocks
35. Transport Museum pt.3 - Creating the Blitz Experience, by Paul Maddocks
36. Transport Museum pt.4 - Coventry's Land Speed Record Cars, by Paul Maddocks
37. Transport Museum pt.5 - The 1987 F.A. Cup Winners' Sky Blue Bus, by Paul Maddocks
38. Transport Museum pt.6 - The Royal Cars, by Paul Maddocks
39. Trinity National Schools - Civil Engineer and Architect's Journal, Vol.XVII, 1854
40. What links a Spitfire's landing gear to a baby buggy? by Paul Maddocks
41. What links R2D2 to a Coventry Hydrogen/Electric cab company? by Paul Maddocks
42. Whitefriars Gatehouse and Toy Museum, by Paul Maddocks
43. WW1 and Wyley of Charterhouse, by Paul Maddocks
44. 1930s Austin's Monthly Magazine articles, by John Bailey Shelton MBE
45. Plan for the City Centre - The Architect and Building News, 21st March 1941
 

The Saint Joseph the Worker parish in Coventry, by Terence Richards

Part 1: The earlier years - In the beginning.

Saint Joseph the Worker Roman Catholic church, De Montfort Way, Cannon Park, Coventry, is in the deanery of Coventry and the archdiocese of Birmingham.

The parish boundary is: On the north side from the railway line to the A45 road, south along the A45 to the Kenilworth Road, then south on the Kenilworth Road to Gibbet Hill Road, and, finally, following the city boundary along Gibbet Hill Road and Westwood Heath Road.

The history of the Saint Joseph the Worker parish in Coventry begins in 1957, and it was in 1962 that the independent parish that came to have the aforementioned name was established.

The relevant time periods plus the parish priests and their nationalities are:

1962 - 1966 --- Father Bernard Boulton --- English --- He chose the parish name.

1966 - 1969 --- Father John Pinkman --- Irish.

1969 - 2011/2012 --- Father Michael Francis Jordan --- English.

It is written in British History Online that, "in the 20th century, the Roman Catholic population in Coventry and its neighbourhood both increased and became more widely distributed . . .
    "New suburban Roman Catholic parishes were formed in the years following the second world war . . .
    "In 1957, the priest in charge of All Souls church, [Kingsland Avenue, Chapelfields], was responsible for serving [a] new mass [centre] at Henry Parkes [primary] school in Prior Deram Walk, Canley, where the [attendance] averaged 240". The purpose was to cater for the significant - extensively working class - Roman Catholic population in Canley.
    N. B. Later, the above educational institution was to be renamed Sir Henry Parkes school. That name will be used throughout this historical journey.
    The White Willow Park housing development was to occupy the site of the former school from 2014.

Masses were held on Sunday mornings in the school hall from the late 1950s until 1966. The writer, and others who attended, carried chairs from the classrooms to the aforementioned hall, where the seating was then arranged.
    One of the priests from All Souls who said masses at Sir Henry Parkes school was Father John Galsius, who was English of, at least partly, Lithuanian stock. As he addressed the congregation, he would call those present "my dear brethren", sometimes folding a piece of paper as he spoke.

There was a lighter dimension at the school as well. It might have been before the establishment of the independent parish that the following occurred.
    During a mass at the venue, an altar server, possibly Joe Hastings, accidentally knocked the bell - whereupon members of the congregation, believing it to be a signal to kneel, promptly did so. That resulted in good natured amusement, while a smile could also be seen subsequently crossing the face of the altar server responsible.
    On another occasion at the school, on a cold morning, rather than say the word "chosen", a reader read to the congregation: "Many are called, but few (or few of us) are frozen". He can be suspected of thinking aloud.

The yet to be both independent and named parish of Saint Joseph the Worker had also acquired an indirect link to Australia in those far off days.
    Sir Henry Parkes school had a statue of a kangaroo in its front entrance area and was named after the man who was born in fairly nearby Moat Cottages in Canley when the latter was a hamlet in the parish of Stoneleigh. Sir Henry Parkes (1815 - 1896) emigrated to Australia, entered politics there and became known as the father of the Australian federation.

It is confirmed that the independent Roman Catholic parish was established in 1962.

The first parish priest was Father Bernard Boulton. He was possibly in his 40s or 50s regarding age, being average to tall in height and of medium build, with somewhat aquiline features and a full head of greying hair. Eventually, Father Boulton chose the name Saint Joseph the Worker for the church and parish.

Upon his arrival in 1962, the new priest lived in one of the steel houses, in what is known as the top end of Canley, with two sisters who had not previously been known to attend masses at the school.

Following the commencement of Father Boulton's time as parish priest, there might have been people from the top end of Canley, who had previously worshipped at Our Lady of the Assumption church in Tile Hill Lane, and those from elsewhere, who then began attending services at Sir Henry Parkes school. However, a substantial input of people from those areas possibly did not occur until a temporary church was built in Canley by the Kirby Corner Road/Shultern Lane junction in 1966.

There was irritation at the outset of Father Boulton's ministry. The new parish was an offshoot of All Souls, not the Assumption. However, at the school, Father Boulton would announce the times of forthcoming masses at the Assumption only, and he also once referred to O.L.A. sheets - whereas the relevant pieces of literature, for a horse racing game, were the A.S.D.A. (All Souls Development Association) sheets. The priest was appropriately advised and subsequently spoke of mass times at "neighbouring parishes".

The head of Father Boulton would noticeably move from the left to the right, then the right to the left, then back to the right, and so the cycle continued, as he read the lines of the notices before speaking. He would then announce the relevant matters twice.
    N. B. On one occasion, when announcing the notices during a mass at the school, Father Boulton confirmed that he was not from Coventry by, at least once, calling the Hotel Leofric: the Hotel Leffric.

The above priest would also make a point of directing part of his preaching at the children sitting on the front row in the school hall.

Another of Father Boulton's traits was that he would start singing Soul of My Saviour during communion, at which point the congregation would join in.

Away from the school, Father Boulton continued the practice of one or more priests from All Souls in that he would bring communion to the homes of those parishioners who were not able to attend mass.

In the context of parish income, Father Boulton introduced an outdoor collection scheme in 1963. The writer was a collector from the beginning until the end of the scheme. He and the other collectors were given rounds and would call at homes in the parish where Roman Catholics were known to live. Those visited were not exclusively people who attended mass at the school or, later, the temporary church. Homes in designated rounds were called on and financial contributions were received. The writer's rounds covered Cannon Hill Road and adjoining areas, including Canley Hall in Ivy Farm Lane. That hall referred to was a residential block accommodating men, not the private residence called Canley Hall Farmhouse in the same lane. Coincidentally, the latter residence in Ivy Farm Lane was also the home of the parishioners, the Shaw family, who were living there in the early 1970s and possibly before. Among the parishioners who contributed on the outdoor collection scheme were Mr. Tim Clifford, a Welshman of Merynton Avenue, who was the production control manager at the former Banner Lane site of Massey Ferguson, the tractor manufacturer, and the then Paula Thorogood of Cannon Hill Road, who became the head of display at the former C and A clothing retailer in the central part of Coventry. The latter parishioner gave 5 shillings (£0.25) a week, while her widowed mother, who lived in the same house, made a weekly contribution of 15 shillings (£0.75). That was very generous giving in those long past days of the 1960s. The money collected, conventionally cash, from all the contributors to the outdoor collection scheme, was subsequently paid in on Sundays at the school then the temporary church. The collectors were also obliged to keep record books, supplied by the parish, which were periodically audited. The outdoor collection scheme is thought to have lasted until around 1969.
    N. B. The writer was employed in a purchasing capacity at Massey Ferguson from 1964 until 1967. In 1966 and 1967, the above mentioned Mr. Clifford was the manager of the function in which the writer was engaged.

In the 1963 to 1964 period, during a service at the school, Father Boulton commented about employment, saying that, if an employee did not make a maximum effort at work, such a person was robbing the employer. The priest is not remembered saying that, when an employer had an employee working overtime and did not pay the latter for that additional work, the employer was robbing the employee.

The Labour party won the General Election of the 15th of October, 1964. Subsequently, Father Boulton, again, during a service at the school, urged relevant prayers, or whatever, regarding the newly elected government, ending his comments by pointedly saying: "especially as there's been (or just been) a change".

Whether it was when services were still being held at the school or in the succeeding temporary church, oblong collection boxes, with glass panels sloping downward for security, to be used at masses, were another introduction by Father Boulton. His prior explanation was that it was to avoid the embarrassment of accidentally dropping the collection plate and consequently having the money spilt, something that, he revealed, he had once done himself.
    N. B. Throughout this historical journey, the total financial amounts of the parish income received from the outdoor collections, the church collections or any other source/s, are not known, and, should there be the absence of relevant long term records, those who might possess the knowledge are deceased.

Christmas midnight masses were held at Charter primary school in Glebe Close, Canley, in 1963 and 1965.

In the first half of the 1960s - the 1964 period, for example - when masses were held at Sir Henry Parkes school, there was a parish magazine called The Vine. It was edited by a male parishioner who lived in Sir Henry Parkes Road. Referring to youths who would arrive at the school, but not actually attend the service, at least one edition of the publication contained the invitation: "since you're comin' to mass, come in to mass". The Vine is not remembered as being particularly successful, despite one or more appeals by the editor for people to forward written contributions - a "brickbat" or whatever - and it eventually went out of existence.

By 1965, Father Boulton had moved into a house at 50 Cannon Hill Road, where he was to remain living during his time as parish priest. The house was to be the home of the next two parish priests until the present church and presbytery were built.

When writing the Saint Joseph the Worker parish history, it is relevant to acknowledge that Christian kindness was effected by churches that were not Roman Catholic, as outlined in the written words of Father Michael Francis Jordan: "From the beginning of [the] parish in 1962, both the Methodists and the parish of St. Stephen (Church of England) were a great help and support to [the parish]. The Methodists used to lend . . . their premises for the instruction of [the] children for first Confession and first Holy Communion, as well as for meetings of [the] Union of Catholic Mothers. It was a sad day when they decided they must leave the area. St. Stephen's Mothers' Union used to invite [the mothers of the Catholic parish] to all their functions, and the friendship between St. Stephen's and the parish of Saint Joseph the Worker . . . continued to develop and grow".
    At that time, the president of the Saint Joseph the Worker branch of the Union of Catholic Mothers was the late Mrs. Eileen Christina King who lived in Gerrard Avenue with her husband and her extended family.
    The Methodist church was by the Prior Deram Walk/Daubeny Road junction in Canley.
    Saint Stephen the Martyr church is in Charter Avenue, Canley.

It is confirmed that the eventual site for the first Saint Joseph the Worker church was to be by the Kirby Corner Road/Shultern Lane junction in Canley.

Father Jordan had further written that "it took four years after the founding of the parish to obtain a site for [the] Saint Joseph the Worker church. However, the city authorities would allow only a temporary building designed to last not more than ten years without special care on a site which was also temporary. [That] was because they were not yet ready to develop the area and did not want to prejudice any future development they might carry out".

In 1966, Father Boulton and the parishioners were to move to the first Saint Joseph the Worker church.

Top of the page

Part 2: The earlier years - The first church for the parish - then a new priest.

The origin/s of the temporary building that became the first church for the Saint Joseph the Worker parish in 1966 is/are not known for sure. At least three beliefs have been expressed regarding the matter.
    One version of where the construction came from was initially heard decades ago - that it was the former Thomas More church building.
    Then it was said, also many years ago, that the church was the former Saint John Fisher building. However, in 2012, over the telephone, the parish priest of the aforementioned church informed the writer that he had never heard of that.
    The third belief, expressed to the writer by the late Mr. Bob Jones in 2015, was that it was a former Royal Air Force building.

In 1966, the construction work was still being completed while the first Saint Joseph the Worker church was in the initial period of its use. During Sunday morning mass, hot liquid tar could be seen being used in the process of affixing tarpaulin to the sloping roof at the front part of the building.

The church nave was somewhat oblong in shape and essentially prefabricated, with a flat roof. It is confirmed that the construction had an adjoining front part made of wood at a right angle to the nave, with the sloping roof referred to above, giving the whole building a sort of t shape.

A pleasant shade of darker green colouring adorned the outside of the building.

The exact dimensions of the church are not known, but it is possible that, though differently shaped to its successor, it was, at least, a similar size to the next place of worship that was completed in 1981.

Entrance to, and exit from, the first Saint Joseph the Worker church was via the side of the building that was parallel to Kirby Corner Road.

At the front of the church, parallel to Shultern Lane, was a reasonably large car park, the ground covering being a fawn coloured sort of shale material.

Inside the temporary building, there was a reception area at the entrance point and the vestry to the left on entry. The areas for the members of the congregation were in the nave plus each side of the altar. The latter overall area was under the sloping roof at the front of the church. There was a retractable, light coloured, dividing wooden door/screen in front of the altar. It was said by the late Mr. Peter King, the husband of the previously mentioned Mrs. Eileen Christina King, that Father Boulton had paid £400 for the wooden chairs in the church.

The number of people the church could accommodate can also be assessed from the information regarding Sunday attendances that is presented below. Although the exact capacity of the building is not known, it can be seen that the church could hold around 100 or more people at a given time.

The late Mr. Bob Jones, a former Anglican, was there from the start of the parish, and he was a great servant of Saint Joseph the Worker for many years. Sadly, in 2008, he suffered a stroke at his home in Canley. Subsequently, he lived at Saint Jude's rest home in Unicorn Lane, Eastern Green. In September, 2012, information about attendances at the church up to 1969 was requested from Mr. Jones, and he estimated that the numbers for the Sunday masses were thus: Early mass - 80 or 90, 11 a.m. - 100 - 110, 5 p.m. - 70 - 80. Mr. Jones also used the word "probably".
    The above figures might apply to the years beyond 1969 as well.

It is thought that Sunday masses at the church were initially held at 7.30 a.m., 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. By no later than the beginning of the 1970s, there were Sunday services at 5 p.m.

At one point, Father Boulton also changed the weekday evening holiday of obligation mass times from 6 p.m. and 7 p.m. to 7 p.m. and 8 p.m.

Part three of this parish history also provides information regarding mass times and attendances.

As written in the first part of this historical journey, it might have been when services moved from Sir Henry Parkes school to the church that Saint Joseph the Worker received a substantial input of people from the top end of Canley. It is also possible that it was the time when those who lived outside of Canley began attending services at the church.

The parish had been blessed with some great people who had attended the services at the above school. Irrespective of dates, the aforementioned were joined by newcomers who also had among them those of a similar calibre.

During the period, the congregation remained extensively, not totally, working class. In the context of employment, it is stressed that parishioners were variously at managerial, supervisory and standard employee levels. There were those who worked in offices and factories relevant to local manufacturing industry plus retailing, for examples. Part one of the parish history refers. Additionally, at least one police officer, a policewoman whose surname was Raley and who lived in Sir Henry Parkes Road, attended when masses were held at the school. The person might have continued attending following the move to the church.

In 1966, whether during the time of Father Boulton or his successor, a film show was held at the church, possibly in the evening. There was a motion picture about gangsters, but it had to be stopped because of a technical problem.

Another General Election was held on the 31st of March, 1966. Again, the Labour party was victorious. The writer was informed that Father Boulton had voted Tory.

The above year was also when there was to be the first change of parish priest. Father Boulton was to move to another parish. During the time leading up to his departure, the outgoing priest told the writer that the latter had "been one of [his] best men". Easter Sunday was on the 10th of April, 1966. In the written words of Father Jordan, "no sooner was the temporary church completed at Easter, 1966, [than] Father Boulton was appointed parish priest of St. Philip's, Smethwick".

The second parish priest of Saint Joseph the Worker church was Father John Pinkman, who was to hold the position until 1969. He was possibly in his 30s regarding age, being average to tall in height and of medium build, with a fairly square face, pale complexion and receding brown hair. A medical condition would sometimes result in him yawning while saying mass.

Father Pinkman had a formulaic way of saying the bidding prayers during mass, part of his regular wording being "console the lonely, protect the homeless" - or possibly the other way round.

Friday evening masses, thought to be at 7 p.m., were held at the church - in 1967, for example - during Father Pinkman's ministry.

Additionally in 1967, the church had an active Legion of Mary. Among its members were Mrs. Street of Merynton Avenue (who emigrated to Perth, Western Australia, during the 1970s), Patricia FitzGerald, who might still have been living in Founder Close, and John Lewis of Westwood Heath Road.

It is also thought that the Union of Catholic Mothers was still flourishing during that time. Its then president was the late Mrs. Alice Hopkins of Freeburn Causeway, the preceding president, the aforementioned Mrs. Eileen Christina King, and her extended family, having moved to Styvechale Avenue, Earlsdon, in 1966. Mrs. Hopkins' husband, the late Mr. Bernard Hopkins, was also active in the life of the parish.

Indeed, it can be opined that, throughout the period up to 1969, the Saint Joseph the Worker parish continued to thrive - but there was to be another change of priest.

In the written words of Father Jordan again, "no sooner had [Father Pinkman] completed a very successful planned giving campaign, which set the parishioners' sights on a future permanent church [than] he was appointed parish priest of Stone in Staffordshire".

The second part of this historical journey is ending, and it is confirmed that Father Bernard Boulton then Father John Pinkman had worked hard regarding the establishment of a new Roman Catholic parish. Those priests' time had passed, but the future did not turn out to be negative.

A golden era was about to begin.

Top of the page

Part 3: The earlier years - On to the end of the 1970s - Halcyon days.

At this point in the writing of the Saint Joseph the Worker parish history, it is distinctly relevant to cite, and emphasize, the greatness of Father Michael Francis Jordan. A true Christian, he was born on the 20th of February, 1929, in Smethwick, Staffordshire, and ordained to the priesthood on the 12th of June, 1955, becoming the third parish priest of Saint Joseph the Worker on the 25th of January, 1969. Father Jordan suffered a stroke on the 1st of April, 2009, but was to return to his priestly duties until the 2011/2012 period. Following his retirement from his role as the parish priest, Father Jordan went to live at a house in Abercorn Road in the Chapelfields area of Coventry then Saint Joseph's Residential Care Home in Coleshill, Warwickshire. The writer's 71st birthday was on the 11th of May, 2018, and, on that date, Father Jordan went to Heaven.

The third parish priest of Saint Joseph the Worker arrived with his housekeeper, Ms. Pamela Read, who was from the south of England. Individually and jointly, the arrivals were to be an invaluable asset to the parish for the ensuing decades.

From the outset in 1969, Father Jordan was strikingly different to any priest who had gone before in this historical journey.

During his time as the parish priest, the above named incumbent's sermons were masterpieces that were also consistently long enough to cover all the vital points but short enough to retain interest. Characteristically - in the later years of the priest's ministry, for example - the sermons would begin with something that was topical at the time. That was instantly attention grabbing, and, in that context, Father Jordan said to the writer, in those later years, that a good beginning would enable the rest of the sermon to "fly".
    Additionally, because of his reference to the relevant passage, it became evident that the parish priest admired the concept that was expressed from the beginning of chapter 3 of The Old Testament book, Ecclesiastes, namely: "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die . . . " - and so on.
    It is confirmed that Father Jordan's preaching was at an elevated intellectual, and spiritual, level, while he also demonstrated that he both understood everyday life and had down to earth common sense. During one of his sermons, he spoke about the advocacy, by whoever, of having a society without a police force. Confirming his opinion of that notion, Father Jordan's words were: "That's ruddy ridiculous".
    The above sermons' written drafts were known to exist as recently as the earlier years of the 21st century. They should have been published as a compilation. Although some of the sermons were preached many years previously, it is not inevitable that they would have become dated and, therefore, less relevant or irrelevant. Rather, they would have remained relevant, because, implicitly, eternal truths do not become dated.

Father Jordan also introduced the concept of having teams for reading the epistles and bidding prayers plus leaders for the hymn singing, establishing worship patterns which, essentially, lasted into the 21st century.
    The writer read the epistles and the bidding prayers at some masses, leading the hymn singing at others.
    In those earlier years of the parish, a reader and the leader of the reading teams was the late Mr. John Haydock, a former schoolteacher at All Souls primary school who lived in Charter Avenue. Among other readers in the 1970s were Hugh Brady, the brothers David Conry (deceased) and James Conry, Mr. M. C. Cronin, Peter Deeley, Hugh Dinan and Christopher Street (one of the sons of the previously mentioned Mrs. Street). George was the forename of another reader. The reader John Mulvenna might also have been performing the role in those years.
    Hugh Brady and his wife were Irish. He had made himself wealthy in the U. S. A., and he, his wife and their children lived in Cannon Hill Road.
    A sibling of the above mentioned Conry brothers was Kieran, who went on to become a Catholic bishop. The mother of those siblings was the late Mrs. Elizabeth Conry of Cannon Hill Road, who was an extremely fine human being.
    Mr. Cronin was a solicitor and the head of the Kenilworth based law firm that bore his surname. In 1975, for example, the aforementioned reader and members of his family attended services at the church. In the above year, or around that time, Mr. Cronin gave an excellent reading of words from Isaiah, chapter 55.
    Peter Deeley was, or was yet to become, the head of a well known local building company. Patricia, his wife, was a barrister and, again, she attended masses at the church, being also a capable singer during the hymn singing alluded to below.
    Hugh Dinan might have been employed in the insurance sector. In the early 1970s, and possibly before, he drove a distinctive bubble car, a type of vehicle of the time.

It is confirmed that the new parish priest was very enthusiastic about singing. Consequently, there was a significant amount of it, not always in the form of hymns, during the services. For example, following one mass, held at whatever date and in whichever parish church, the writer was informed by his late mother that Father Jordan had sung the gospel during the aforementioned service. The priest believed in the use of the microphone for singing, once commenting to the writer about those whom he deemed to be too proud to use that technological aid. Ultimately, it was also to become known that Father Jordan played more than one musical instrument. In the earlier time of the priest's ministry at Saint Joseph the Worker, the writer learned that the relative newcomer played the guitar. The knowledge was gained when the writer was jointly informed by the parishioners Mr. and Mrs. O'Connor at their home in Cannon Hill Road. Both husband and wife were Irish, the former being a dentist. It is thought that Father Jordan played the guitar in the usual right handed manner, even though he was left handed. He is remembered once singing It's a Lesson Too Late for the Learning in the church, while accompanying himself on the guitar.

In addition to caring for Father Jordan and otherwise being of assistance, Pamela Read also contributed to the life of the parish by teaching around 300 children for their First Confession, First Holy Communion and Confirmation.

The parish had already contained people from the Cannon Hill Road area - the aforementioned road itself plus Orlescote Road, Tutbury Avenue and Merynton Avenue. In 1969, the nearby Cannon Park private housing estate was in the initial part of its development. Over the years, the flourishing parish of Saint Joseph the Worker would also receive by parishioners from that new source and elsewhere.

At whatever specific dates in 1969, there were one or more parish gatherings in the church where there was singing and music. Among those who performed, were Brian Gallagher (born in August, 1947) and John Bolton (pronounced Bollton) Handley (born in September, 1946), two young men who were of the Assumption parish and who would accompany the writer in singing and playing musical instruments at Christmas midnight mass in 1969.
    N. B. Because of his second forename, John Bolton Handley was known to the writer and one or more others as Bolt' (rhymes with jolt).
    Additionally, at a parish gathering, two, or all three, of the Maguire sisters from Tutbury Avenue are remembered singing Jug of Punch, and, at least, one of the siblings provided guitar accompaniment. In order of age, the Maguire sisters were Bernadette, Patricia and Sheila. They were English, but their father was Irish and their mother was Welsh. Bernadette and Pat have lived in Spain for decades, while Sheila has lived in New York for a similar time. To, at least, Bernadette and Pat, the writer is likely to be still known as "outdoor collection Terry" - a legacy of him calling at their home when he was an outdoor collector in the 1960s.
    The late, sincerely missed, Maurice Kenny (1946 - 2016) might have been present at one or more of the above gatherings as well.
    It was also possibly in 1969, and no later than 1970, when the writer, Brian Gallagher and John Bolton Handley sang and played musical instruments at a small parish gathering.

So far as possible, the parish history has been, and is to be, of a chronological format, hence it is written here that, in the latter part of 1969, a covenant scheme was in operation, one of the organizers being the parishioner, Mr. Bill Dinan, the father of the reader, Hugh Dinan. Mr. Dinan senior and his wife, Juanita (known as Rita), lived in Cannon Hill Road.

It might have been during the period approaching Christmas, 1969, at another time of that year or, referring to the bingo matter outlined below, in 1970, when Father Jordan requested help, in a musical context, from the writer. Whenever the request was made, the writer subsequently communicated it to Brian Gallagher and (possibly) John Bolton Handley. Brian Gallagher's spoken response was: "Oh, anything for that bloke".
    The writer's above named friends of those days each played more than one musical instrument. John Bolton Handley was an excellent banjo player. It is thought to have been in 1969 when Father Jordan said to him: "It's very attractive, the banjo", to which the musician's benignly ironic reply was: "It is, if you can play it".

It is confirmed that the writer, Brian Gallagher and John Bolton Handley, performed the song, Lord of the Dance, at Christmas midnight mass in 1969. The writer sang the lead and played the guitar, Brian Gallagher played the guitar and John Bolton Handley played the banjo. Those men accompanied the writer in the singing of the choruses. The rendition was in the musical key of E, and the performance was warmly received by members of the congregation. At whatever subsequent time during the service, Brian Gallagher sang the Our Father, while playing the guitar, and he was accompanied by the writer, also playing the guitar, and John Bolton Handley.

Bingo was being played in the church in 1970, for example. The sessions were popular and well attended. It is remembered that they were held on Thursday evenings. In the aforementioned year, Father Jordan made a written request to the writer, asking if he, or his group, could sing and provide music at one of the bingo sessions. The priest's action had been taken because of a licencing matter. When the writer communicated the request to Brian Gallagher and (definitely) John Bolton Handley, it is confirmed that it might have been then that Brian Gallagher made the "anything for that bloke" comment. Accordingly, on a subsequent evening, soon after Father Jordan's initial request, the writer and the other two men performed at one of the bingo sessions.
    Notwithstanding its popularity, the bingo was eventually ended by Father Jordan because, he advised, it was not paying its way.
    N. B. Brian Gallagher emigrated to South Africa in November, 1970, while John Bolton Handley eventually became a schoolteacher.

At Christmas midnight mass in 1970 the writer performed What Child is This?, singing and playing the guitar. It is thought that a choir also sang at the service.

At separate times in the early 1970s, two young men, Christopher Achenbach, who was still at school, and Robert Benson, played the keyboard to accompany the hymn singing at Sunday morning masses. The late Mr. Benson, the father of Robert and a convert from Methodism, also had involvement in leading the hymn singing.

Again, at Father Jordan's request, during whatever specific year in the 1970s, the writer was one of those who attended a meeting about trade unionism and management that was held at the church. Father Jordan might have been present at the meeting. One of those who attended is thought to have been Mr. Deeley senior, the father of the reader, Peter Deeley. Another of those present was a man who had some sort of trade union connection. At the meeting, contextual opinions were exchanged, while the union representative also said that there could be the discrimination of the majority by the minority.

In 1972, the church wardens were under the leadership of the late Mr. Bob Jones. The writer was briefly a church warden during this period. The late Mr. Jack Preece might also have been involved in the role.

During an evening in the autumn of 1974, the writer visited the church, for however long, and donated clothing to a jumble sale that was being held there. The writer had lived in Perth, Western Australia, during the back end of 1971. One of the items that he donated to the jumble sale was a white Australian style hat, with the pin up on one side brim, that he had purchased while living in the southern hemisphere. The hat was bought that evening by the previously referred to Mrs. Brady of Cannon Hill Road, who showed herself wearing it to the writer.

A choir sang at Christmas midnight mass in 1974.

There had been one or more dances held at the first church in whatever year, or years, from 1966 onwards.
    As another example of how the Saint Joseph the Worker parish was flourishing during the 1970s, on the 22nd of January, 1975, a parish social and dance was held at the former Canley social club in Marler Road. Father Jordan was present, and the event was well attended by the parishioners. There was live music, provided by a group/band, and dancing. One or more of those providing the music held at least one quiz during the parish gathering. The memory is of a pleasant evening where people enjoyed themselves.

Members of the teaching profession also attended the church services during the mid 1970s.

There was amusement at the church as well.
    In 1978, the writer was again engaged in the role of reading the epistles and announcing the hymns. At one Sunday mass, thought to be a morning service, the writer announced the opening hymn as Father Jordan, though on the altar, was merely preparing to begin the mass. The hymn began. Father Jordan did not panic and soon formally commenced the service. Fortunately, the congregation was none the wiser. At the end of the mass, the writer and Father Jordan had a brief, good natured, conversation about the matter.

Father Jordan also advised that, from 1969 to 1980, Sunday mass times were: 9 a.m., 11 a.m. and 5 p.m., and that the church attendances during the period were around 350.
    Part two of this parish history also provides information about mass times and attendances at the first church.

As this historical journey nears its end, it is confirmed that the parish flourished from 1969 to the end of the 1970s. During that time, the church remained a haven of true Christian love. Goodwill was manifest among the parishioners - whether in the church itself or elsewhere. Indeed, it would have been hard to find a nicer church anywhere.

It is further confirmed that, from its beginning in the 1950s, when it had catered for the extensively working class Roman Catholic population of Canley, the parish that was to be named Saint Joseph the Worker had grown, thrived and been enriched by newcomers.

Looking back to those earlier years, there can be fond thoughts of some very great people - whether they are still on earth or in Heaven. It has been the writer's privilege that they ever crossed his path.

May God bless them.

References:

British History Online.

The Holy Bible - The New International Version (1979). London: Hodder and Stoughton.

Jones, R. (2012, 2015).

Jordan, Father M. F. (2013).

King, P. (c1966).

O'Connor, Mr. and Mrs. (c1969).

Richards, Mrs. E.

Saint John Fisher church (2012).

The Saint Joseph the Worker website.

Date: 2019.


 
 
 
Associated pages....
Home | How this site began | Bibliography | About me | My music | Discussion Forum | Steve's website | Historic Stoke, Coventry | Orland family website
Top of the page

This is your first visit to my website today, thank you!

3,340,726

Website by Rob Orland © 2002 to 2024