And now here's a triple "now and then" helping of one of our two remaining city gates!
Although the surroundings have changed out of all recognition, at least the gate itself has been tastefully restored. The quaint cobbled street has disappeared, along with the old houses and "Ye Old Tower Inn" built into the side of the gateway and utilising part of the old city wall..... all we have now to keep the gate company is a modern 'charisma free' office type building and a box of gritting salt!
The view is from Cook Street itself, looking out of town and it is noticable that the restoration last done in 1931 includes reinstating the battlements and rebuilding the window as well as adding a gargoyle which may or may not have existed on the original.
The 1930s postcard in the centre shows that restoration can be carried out in keeping with existing surroundings, by improving an old monument, and building pleasant gardens, without having to needlessly destroy charismatic properties like those on the left of the street. What on earth was our post-war council thinking?
Further back in time, an engraving from around 1805 shows the gate still defended by a moat which ran under a small stone bridge leading to the gate from the outside. How times have changed!
You can see that engraving plus much more information about this and other gates on the City Wall and Gates pages.