Home Home

 
Index...

Search this site:
1: Arts School, Ford Street
2: Bishop Street, looking north
3: Bishop Street, looking south
4: Bishop Street Post Office
5: Blue Coat School & ruins
6: Broadgate from Hertford Street
7: Broadgate from Holy Trinity Church
8: Burges from Bishop Street
9: Burges from Cross Cheaping
10: Burton's in Blitzed Broadgate
11: Butcher Row, Great
12: Butcher Row, Little
13: Cheylesmore Manor House
14: Coat of Arms Bridge
15: Cook Street gate
16: Council House
17: Cox Street
18: Far Gosford Street
19: Fire Station, Hales Street
20: Fleet Street
21: Ford's Hospital
22: Golden Cross & Pepper Lane
23: Greyfriars Lane
24: The Grove
25: Guildhall & 22 Bayley Lane
26: Hales Street
27: Herbert Art Gallery & Museum
28: Hertford Street
29: Hertford Street from Broadgate
30: High Street from Broadgate
31: High Street from Earl Street
32: High Street aerial view
33: Hill Street, Bablake & Bond's
34: Hippodrome, new
35: Hippodrome, old
36: Humber Motor Works
37: Ironmonger Row
38: Jordan Well & Earl Street
39: Jordan Well & Gosford Street
40: Kenilworth Road
41: Leamington Road
42: Much Park Street
43: Naul's Mill Park
44: Old Rope Walk
45: Palace Yard
46: Pool Meadow
47: Precinct & Old Coventry aerial view
48: Precinct, upper
49: Precinct, west view
50: Priory Row
51: Priory Street, lower end
52: Priory Street, upper end
53: Queen Victoria Road flood of 1900
54: Railway Station, Eaton Road
55: Railway Station - the platform
56: Smithford Way
57: Spon End arches
58: Spon Street flood of 1900
59: St. John's Church, Fleet Street
60: St. Michael's Avenue
61: St. Michael's ruins
62: St. Michael's spire from Pepper Lane
63: Stoke Green & Pool
64: Swanswell Gate
65: Swanswell Pool
66: Swimming Baths, Priory Street
67: Trinity Church
68: Trinity Lane & the Free Library
69: Trinity Lane from Priory Row
70: Trinity Street aerial view
71: Trinity Street & Hales Street
72: Trinity Street from Broadgate
73: War Memorial Park
74: Warwick Row, Hertford St & Warwick Lane
75: Warwick Road
76: Well Street from Hales Street
77: West Orchard
78: Wheatley Street Schools
 
Page 10

Burton's in Blitzed Broadgate

It's January 1942 and everyday life for the people of Coventry is not being interrupted quite so often by the raiders from above. The following month King George VI with Queen Mary will visit the city to view plans for the future, and in six month's time the final three fatalities from air-raids will occur. Another month after that (August) will see the last ever bombs dropped on our city. A sense of calm is prevailing while people carry on with their efforts towards eventual victory.

Despite all this hope, however, anyone moving around the city, especially the centre, would be constantly reminded of the price of war wherever they looked. Most would be familiar with what they considered their "modern" Broadgate of the 1930s, which brought them a new, prestigious department store, Owen Owen; two smart looking banks, National Provincial and Lloyds; and a quality tailors, Burton.

Click on the image to bring us forward to 2015. if you wish to see the images separately.

The view you see above was taken from the side of one of those banks, the familiar one with the pillars in front and at the side, now renamed National Westminster. The main view is of Burton's, on the corner of Broadgate and Smithford Street, while in the background (far right of the photo) stands Owen Owen. Together, these buildings were the only ones in Broadgate left standing after the huge raid of the 14th November 1940, although Owen Owen and Burton's were too badly damaged to be retained - the former being demolished in the summer of 1943 - the latter kept until just after the war.

The old Market Tower shouldn't go unnoticed on the left either, which although surviving still upright was swept away along with all the rest so we could have our pedestrianised precinct a decade later. The clock mechanism had already been removed, though, and later fitted into the animated Godiva clock, which stands on the spot where once stood the grand King's Head Hotel on the corner of Smithford and Hertford Street. The shallow pile of rubble visible on the left of this photo represents the place where the corner of that hotel had been.


 
Previous page:
Burges from Cross Cheaping
This page:
Burton's in Blitzed Broadgate
Next page:
Butcher Row, Great
 
 
Associated pages....
Home | How this site began | Bibliography | About me | My music | Admin | 1605 | Steve's website | Mandy's website | Orland family website
Top of the page
HTML5
1,950,448
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated on 12th May 2015